A roof is one of the most ignored parts of a home. Most homeowners doesn’t care to maintain it, until a leakage or moisture occurs. Even a minor leakage can turn into a major and expensive repair. Since roof installation is a costly investment, it’s advised not to overlook any of the roofing issues. In a few cases, where the damage is less, calling a roofing expert can pay off. In contrast, major destruction is difficult to repair and requires the only solution of roof replacement.
A Few tips that help in determining the need of a new roof are:
1. Roof age: A shingled roof can damage or crack with the passage of time. An average age of a roof is 20- 25 years. Its life expectancy highly depends on the layer of shingles. A properly ventilated asphalt and shingled top can survive for longer. If your home was constructed over 20 years ago and consists of layered roof, get it replaced by the roof installation company.
2. Curled and buckled shingles: Damaged shingles that are often curled or buckled are signs that point towards the need of a new roof. Inspect the slopes that receive direct and prolonged sunlight. If you find curled or loose granules, it means that shingles have passed their life expectancy limit. There’s need to call a licensed roofing contractor to see whether a repair or reimbursement can be offered.
3. Roof valleys: A sagging roof or falling apart shingles is a problem that has just one solution, i.e roof replacement. Valleys are important areas of a roof that are responsible for allowing snow and rainwater to flow into the gutters. Never compromise in building valleys, as the less valid roof is prone to leak.
4. Missing shingles: In a few cases, where roof maintenance is badly ignored can lead to intact or missing shingles. In this case, a problem of leaking or damp roof can persist. Regularly inspect your home’s roof to find intact shingles. In case you notice them, offer immediate repairs.
5. Shingle granules in the gutters: If your attic or roof is not accessible, look into the gutters to see shingle granules. Majority of roofs tend to lose granules, when they are coming towards the end of their life cycle. In case, you find your downspout or rain gutter clogged, a possible cause can be granules.
6. Daylight in the attic: A simple way to check whether a roof is damaged or not, simply move around the attic and see, if direct sunshine coming inside. Moreover, damp walls or mold growth in an attic also indicates a problematic roof.
These are the few factors that help in determining the need of roof replacement. Priority Roofing is a full service roofing company in Kitchener that is committed to offer high-end residential roof installation and repair services at competitive prices.